JOAN F. DROMEY, PASTEL CECIL BYRNE GALLERY, CHARLESTON, SC
Award-winning artist Joan Dromey studied fine art at the College of the Holy Cross, but pursued and established a successful business career following graduation. In 2006 she returned to the arts and began painting in her newly chosen medium of soft pastels.
Rather than oils or acrylics, which she had previously worked in, the rich textures, wonderful color range and immediacy of pastels held an instant appeal. Joan then studied with nationally known pastelists Maggie Price, Terry Ludwig, Richard McKinley, Frank Federico and Stan Sperlak to advance understanding of this newly chosen medium. As a result, she quickly gained recognition for the quality of her contemporary landscape paintings, winning acceptance in numerous national and international juried shows. Her paintings have received several awards, including:
- Pastel Society of America 38th Annual Juried Show 2010
- Janet T. Royce Award & Collectors Purchase Award for “More Backyard Blues”
- International Association of Pastel Societies, 14th Exhibition 2009
- 1st Place Award for “Backyard Winter Blues”
- Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod, For Pastels Only 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013
- Northwest Pastel Society Award for “God at the Mall”
- Her work has been featured in several national exhibits across the country, including showings at the National Arts Club in New York City, the Bosque Arts Classic in Texas and The Pastel National in Wichita, Kansas.
Dromey is a Signature Member of the Pastel Painters of Maine, Juried Artist Member of Cape Cod Art Association and also belongs to the Connecticut Pastel Society and the Pastel Painters Society of Cape Cod. Her paintings are in private collections across the United States and Canada.